January 9, 2011

The Tourist.


As some of you might have known, I finally got to watch The Tourist as a result of a perfectly timed invitation (which arrived minutes after I officially set myself free from a habit that I no longer deem healthy).

Before leaving the house, I hadn't actually checked any reviews online (glad I didn't) because everything I'd heard about the movie up to that point (the main actor and actress especially) had sent off a good vibe and the assurance that The Tourist would be at least worth watching. And after spending 1 hour 45 minutes in the theater, I have to say the whole story was both an incredible romance and an awesome mind-fuck that we don't have the luxury to get very often.

Both JD and AJ were extremely well-fitted for their roles. Besides their successful acting, their personal shrouds of mystery were tactfully inserted into their characters, making them perhaps even more wittily charming than those described in the script. Another major bonus was the outstanding chemistry between the two, which was intense and overwhelming to say the least. And this is coming from an extra sentimental girl - you have my words.

The sceneries, oh my, how could anyone possibly not be thrilled by the mesmerizing beauty of Paris and especially Venice? In fact, I officially fell in love with Venice even though I've never been there and perhaps won't be able to explore the Lagoon City anytime soon, thanks to Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck and his perfect choice of location for a cocktail of thriller and romance. Another bonus to drag you to the cinema if you haven't watched the movie, isn't it?

Last but not least, in fact most importantly, the plot was an excellent foreplay for an entirely unexpected ending - the kind of ending that makes you realize your mind has just been screwed, wonder how it's happened and yet still feel grateful for such intriguing food for thought. During the post-movie discussion, my companion pointed out a big fat clue that majority of us wouldn't have noticed or questioned while following the story (hint: it has something to do with the ball). Maybe I'll watch the movie again, this time knowing the truth, and see if I can spot more clues from the amazingly misleading foreplay.

All in all, with all these undeniable awesomeness and bonuses, I don't get why critics have been awfully harsh on the movie. I believe it is due to high expectations mainly for the actors and wrong perceptions of the genre that The Tourist is surprisingly prone to criticisms. Don't listen to them - those people failed to peel the outer layer and feel the movie completely. And I'm not the only one who thinks it IS a good movie for what it has to offer. If you dare to label yourself as a smart, sophisticated and spontaneous escapist who happens to like Shutter Island with a touch of wit, humor, action and romance, The Tourist is a right choice of movies for you. Feel free to share your sentiments, too.

Next up on my movie list:
  • Norwegian Wood (ノルウェイの森)
  • No Strings Attached
Now if you excuse me, I'm off to watch Going The Distance.

Xoxo 

No comments:

Post a Comment