October 5, 2010

Relationship ranting.

(For illustration purpose only)

One windy afternoon, after a huge fight with Mom, Daddy suddenly shared with me his secret to a successful marriage "Whenever you're faced with a person's worst, simply take a deep breath, close your eyes, and remind yourself of his best. You'll then find the strength to forgive (provided it's really worth it). Everybody is messed up in one way or another, including you, me, and your Mom. The infamous 'if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best' might sound cliché, but it's true. You love the person, you buy the whole package. Just make sure he reciprocates". I sometimes wonder how my parents tolerate each other - yes, each of them does have a couple of ridiculous flaws to be named, not to mention conflicting personalities and horrible tempers - but what my Dad said is exactly how they have overcome their marriage hurdles all these years. Sadly, nowadays many young people no longer value relationships as much as they deserve to be. The moment something tastes bitter, people throw away what could have turned out to be a decent meal. Should this be seen as an act of sapience to keep looking out for the right fish or foolishness to let go o a rare fish? Will there ever be the right fish in the first place? I guess there's no right or wrong here and we may have very different takes on the issue. But if you ask me, I'll say, as my parents' daughter, I do it the way they do it. The end

P.S. Me miss my Man.

2 comments: