June 5, 2008

Parents.


This morning I woke up early to prepare for the visit of my parents and lil' sis. Cooking, cleaning, checking hotel & transport information. Bringing a heavy bag of food and all necessary things, plus a big handbag filled with gifts, I actually tried hard to reach Changi airport.

I was there in time. The plane just landed. I saw luggages. I saw some very first passengers. And after a while, I finally saw them, my beloved ones. Dad was the first one, he smiled and waved at me. Then my lil' sis, the funny looking one, with a new pair of glasses, she looked even funnier. And there came Mom, the 'most-expected' one. After a smile flashing through her face, she knitted her brows and stared at me in such an uncomfortable manner. I tried to continue smiling, but honestly, I started to feel unpleased.

I saw some parents welcome by their children there, just like us. The very first things they did to each other was to hug, then touch, then look, then compliment. It was such a warm and sweet atmosphere.

Then Dad, Mom and sis finally pushed the trolleys out. My sis whispered to me 'You die, sis. You've been stared.' I acted as if I heard nothing and glanced at my Mom's face. Well, I was ready for a hug or something, but there was totally no signal of it or anything similar from parents.

"You look like Singaporean already huh? Or it's 'cause I'm old, my vision's not even clear enough to recognize my daughter? So many things that I've never heard from her huh?..."

Stares. Comments. Allusive words.

Everything was clear and loud enough for people there to see and hear, I guessed. I suddenly felt so damn jealous with the others. I merely wanted to happily welcome my family, but they gave me such a damn start like that. Ok, fine, I just ignored and tried to separate ourselves from the crowd as fast as possible.

"Now here, you can just throw your words at my face, sir and ma'am.", I silently thought.

And well, what ought to come did come. I stood there, listening and answering every single question, decently, with a stupid smile always there on my face. But it was not enough to chase away Mom's displeasure, of course. Even when we were moving towards the taxi stand, I did ask to help with her trolley. But she ignored me.

Heavy headache. Cold attitude. Totally puzzled.

Tomorrow I'll try to concentrate on my last paper, it should be given priority at the moment. After that, whatever. I know I can never change their mindsets. The distance will just increase every time. I'm trying to understand them, but they prefer judging and blaming me. What to do?

That's why. It might sound weird that I'm not 100% happy about my parents' visit. But, it's like that. Yeah, that's why. Do you understand?

No comments:

Post a Comment